Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 28, 2008

Opponents can't see through the back of the cards. make them prove their defense

The nationals -- a sure-fire place they will put your skills to the test. One of the many important concepts John taught me as a neophyte bridge player was: hey, Isolde, your opponents can't see through the back of the cards. I keep that little slogan with me when I play, and sometimes, when I guide you to better bridge I add the following:

1) Make the opponents prove their carding
2) Make the opponents prove their defense.

This issue came up no less than three times in one session of the finals of the BAM. Yes, field these hands with me with the finest of the finest. And before we get started let me just say I'm going to totally isolate the declarer issues --and let you all decide within your partnerships how to overcome these ruse plays. Suffice it to say, I pulled off two myself, but got caught in two as well.

Polish player lefty landed in 3S with this hand AKQ864,Q2,AQ2,T7 opposite T93,JT86,654,J32. Pretty soon after getting the lead, he put the pressure on by playing the HQ. You can see the problem. Without any other entry to dummy one does need to isolate the fourth heart. Since the AK of hearts were split in both hands, neither defender knew the true situation of the honor cards and declarer scored an undeserved heart trick. voila (how do you say that in Polish) Not good in BAM -land.

Norwegian player righty pulled off an even greater ruse. He, too, was in some number of spades (non game) with AKQ982,A,KT3,742 opposite J63,J876,J742,J5. Once again, very few entries to dummy and those looming Jxxx in the offsuits. He played the DK and partner, not knowing exactly where the Q was ducked. Then declarer Norwegian started running the spades. Convinced that Norwegian player had the DQ the later play produced low diamond to my now stiff Q and partner's A. Oops, two significant honors on one trick and an overtrick for declarer (not good in BAM-land)

Ok, so enough of this foolishness it is now Isolde's turn (snicker snicker snicker). Weichsel (American) was on my right and overcalled 1S over 1C. I very confidently bid 3N with these tickets KQ64,A65,752,AJ3 and bought the contract there. Low spade to this dummy: v,K72,QJT9,KQ8542. Ok, I pitched a heart and after some tank Weichsel flew A. Good, two tricks for Isolde in the spade suit. Spade back and I stiffed the HK in the dummy and they could just spend a lot of brain power wondering what that was all about. I played a heart to the K and "finessed" the DQ (or so they thought).

Lefty (also American -boring lol) thought a long time and finally ducked. He didn't know I was trying to sneak the overtrick and that his partner had the other honor. So there you are--I'm only entitled to ten tricks but made 11 (good in BAM land for the declaring side)--side note, don't pay attention to the yelling that ensues.

There are many analytical skills and communication skills necessary to play good defense. But, it always pays to put the opponents to the test. Sometimes these two areas are just not good enough, or there has been inadequate information in the play of the hand so far to get enough deductive reasoning going.

Enjoy it all, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

No comments: