Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 25, 2009

The Reverse --its secrets revealed

Hi all,

It usually isn't long in a bridge journey before one becomes acquainted with the term "reverse". Hmmmm, I know this is a gear in my car, but what does it mean in terms of my bridge vocabulary.

I came across it this way. I had a very strong hand (two suiter) and opened it 1C. Partner bid 1S and I jump-shifted into hearts. When my dummy came down, a seasoned player said: "Isolde, you don't have to jump to show this hand". Thus, started my study of the "reverse" concept as it manifests itself in bridge bidding.

There are several (confusing) definitions of reverses but there are two which I like the best:

1) One reverses when one bids a higher ranking suit at the two level without a jump than one opened. Note, responder has only promised 6 points. Thus.....1C 1S, 2H is a reverse.

a) 1C 1H, 1S is not (second round of bidding does not start at the two level).
b)1D 1H, 2C is not (second suit is lower ranking than the first).
c) 1C 1D, 2H is not (note the jump)

2) One reverses when one asks responder to prefer the opened suit at the three level without a jump. Note, responder has only promised six points. If the bidding goes 1H 1N, 2S and responder prefers hearts, he/she has to do this at the three level. Thus, a reverse,

There are several musts about reverses and its best to practice them always:

1) Reverses show extra values. If you ask responder to pref the suit at the three level you should have combined resources to handle a contract at the three level. Reverse with a 13 point hand and responder owns only six--the pref at the three level will have to be played with 19 high card points between you. Not good. Have really good playing strength or at least 16 hcp as your extra values.

2) Reverses are shape-showing, that is the first suit is always longer than the second one --always. I had an opponent bid this hand 1C 1S, 2D against me this weekend. This hand was 4,A85,AQJT7,AK43. Note that diamonds are longer than clubs so this hand should have been shown through a strong jump shift, i.e. 1D 1S,3C.

3) One always promises one more bid after a reverse. Don't pass. (unless partnership agreements override this dictum).

There are many responder methods over reverses, some more standard than others. I have discussed them with most of my partners but will leave that for another day. Also, a serious discussion about handling reverses in competition needs to happen in every partnership.

I'd be happy to field any questions regarding this subject.

Happy bridging.

Isolde

No comments: