Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 13, 2008

When are Q bids "to play"

It's been ages since I've written to you and for my end of that, I apologize. Fact is, unless I play with you guys somewhat I really don't know where your needs are. (sorry). It's been a good year for me --once the smoke cleared, Freeman and I are the only D20 players representing this unit at both the pair and team events this year (Roger McNay, Eric Stolz and Chris Gibson Q'd but couldn't make it to Detroit). This, for me, is a phenomenal accomplishment and the beginning of true high level play. I'm glad that at least for me, hard work and having fun are not mutually exclusive. Go team and nose to the grindstone!

But, back to serious business for you guys. Yesterday, Jim Smith asked me to inspire him to play better bridge. I hope I accomplished that --it's always a fine line between "inspire" and "overwhelm". Hopefully I made the grade. However, here's what I need to share with this group so we don't mess this up in the finals of the Blue Ribbons. Please learn these sequences. Your developing partnerships may be at odds, and it can cause some discomfort, but I can guarantee you your flight A partners will thank you immensely.

(1m) 3m is natural. Get it --it's not "give me a stop" or "super majors". It's natural. Yesterday, my rho opened 1C and with this hand J,Axx,Tx,QJxxxxx, I bid 3C. To play. Natural.
(1D) 3D is also natural. To play.

The following Q bid sequence is also "natural" barring special within partnership agreements. Yesterday my lho opened 1C and rho bid 1H. Holding AQxx,KQ87xx,Ax,6 I wanted to play hearts so I bid 2H. Duh......natural. I don't care if rho has four of them, I can handle that. 2H is natural in this sequence --it is not "unusual" or "michaels" or asking for a heart stop. It's natural and to play.

In this hot seat sequence, 2m is also natural. The sequence (1C) (1H) 2C --i.e. instead of hearts I bid clubs, is also "to play". I hold something like Axx,x,xxx,AKQTxx. Natural.

Warning --please differentiate (1m) 3m from (1M) 3M. This 3H/3S bid is not natural. Duh, rho has already promised five. This is somewhat of the Western Q bid that is overly used and abused but here it is, in all it's glory. 3M over 1M asks specifically if partner can stop the major from running. This bid promises nine tricks. Not 8.5, not 8 on a good day and/or 7. It promises 9 tricks provided the major can be stopped. Why? Flight A players when they hear this bid will not lead the major. They will lead your long running minor so the QT98 you have in your hand will never be trick 9. You'll be one short. Here's another reason. Pesky flight A players will jam the auction with the major. Something like (1M) 3M (4M). I, as your advancer would now like to know when I can bid 4 nt. i.e. I not only have the major stopped but I have trick 10 for you or perhaps trick 12 for the slam. Vul vs nv at imps you'll be glad you found this and come back to your table with a huge imp win. If there are any questions (hopefully not too confusing), please ask. I'm here to help

No comments: